22.2.15

Valentia


Valentia lace dress - c/o KLARRA (also in Merlot)
Jade bangles - mom's vintage
Platform heels - ASOS
Stone ring - Hoshana By Grace
Lips - M.A.C lipstick in Angel

It's been a good past four days of Chinese New Year long weekend. Love it or hate it, it's probably unlikely to avoid CNY completely unless you decide to take a vacay (smart move you guys). While the festive season does arrive with certain awkward social situations, unwanted questions from the older folks or extra calories you've worked all year round to kill...there are also lots to love.

For instance, I visited the annual Chinatown market for the first time in my life and had a blast! Who would have thought I loved crowd if not for the merry atmosphere? Local pastries are heaven sent; the average looking tarts are way underrated by appearance in their cheap plastic containers, surprising me with its rich buttery aftertaste every single time.

Well I think most importantly, the majority of us here are interested in CNY #OOTDs, right? Sorry to disappoint you guys because I'm far over from my rebellious teenage years of black new year ensembles. No edgy statements here. For my foreign friends who aren't informed – it's Chinese belief to wear auspicious colours such as red for good luck and avoiding black during CNY as it represents mourning.  Now that I'm older, I'm more adhering to dressing up for the occasion. Gone are the days of pissing elders on purpose. Thinking back, that was really a foolish thing to do.

Anyhow, I love dressing up thematically whenever I get a chance. To welcome the year of the Goat, I felt like this white lace dress was a romantic and beautiful piece to wear. A halter necklace has always been very flattering on my body shape, and what I really love about this dress is its asymmetrical hemline. Its precise tapering – curved on front, angular at the back – is a lovely detail that makes the dress feminine. Despite not having the most ideal footwear option, the jade bangles gave this outfit an Asian flavor and luminosity. Can't emphasise enough how accessories are so important for plain garments.


Photography by Yun Jing.